There are a number of permits required to build or lease an industrial or distribution facility.  The permits required by the State of Ohio include air and wastewater discharge permits for facilities that generate waste in these areas.  Large projects may also require a storm water permit.

For more information on the EPA permit process, go to

When do I need a Permit?

City of Troy permits are required for a number of activities not just limited to new construction.
For example, permits are required for the following activities:

  • Change of Use - How the property is currently used to something else.
  • Demolition
  • Accessory Uses - Sheds, decks, fences, garages, pools, etc.
  • Historical District - Changes or improvements to property.
  • Home Occupation
  • New Business - Occupancy permit.
  • New or change to existing signs, parking lots, lighting, buffer, and landscaping. - Commercial properties.
  • New Construction - Residential and Commercial properties.

All permit applications may be obtained at the City of Troy Planning Department located at 100 S. Market Street, Troy, Ohio 45373
or visit the City of Troy's Planning and Zoning department Forms and Applications page.

Zoning Permit Required Before Building Permit

The City of Troy contracts with the Miami County Building Department for all building permits. For additional information on building permits, please visit:

Please note that a zoning permit is required and must be approved before a building permit is issued. Generally, a zoning permit will require an attached site plan (see Site Plan Requirements), which details the location and dimensions of the property and the proposed project. Depending upon the size and scope of the project, applications will be reviewed by Engineering, Fire and Planning Departments for compliance with city ordinances. Staff will respond within 10 days from the time a completed application is submitted.

Change of Use

A change of use typically requires a zoning amendment, meaning the underlying zoning district does not permit the proposed use. A complete list of permitted uses by district, including a zoning map may be viewed at
A zoning amendment application may be processed within 60-120 days, as the approval process involves review by staff, Planning Commission and City Council.

All questions regarding permitting, zoning and planning within the city corporation limit can by answered by contacting the City of Troy Planning Department at (937) 339-9481.


As you navigate our website, you can use the “Add Item to Report” button to add any page or property to a custom report that you can print out or save.